At the end of your tenancy you have to clean the flat or house before handing it back to the landlords. Can cleaning the carpets be included in this?
Your lease gives the answers
At the start of a lease the landlord takes a bond or security deposit. This is normally 4-6 weeks rent paid in advance. The landlord can deduct from the bond to pay for repairs at the end of the tenancy if you have broken things and not repaired them.
However, cleaning the carpets is a grey area, read our research results.
Web resources about security bond costs
We researched a range of answers to this question.
- NZ Tenancy Rights – Rent Bond and Bills – about the rental bond [NZ]
- Can landlords charge a tenant for dirty carpets?[USA] the difference is standard wear-and-tear and unusually dirty carpets like pet urine stains and smells.
- Can landlords charge for damaged carpet?
- Steam cleaning a carpet is not mandatory [Sydney Australia] Rights you may not know you have as a tenant
- Can I charge for a damaged carpet? [USA Rental Property Owners Association 2014] explains pro-rata carpet costs over a 10 year life span
End of Tenancy Cleaning Services in Auckland – look no further, we are here to help.